Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Dam Square

I won't be taking any nice pictures of the queen's palace this trip. Every winter they build an ice-skating rink in Dam Square in front of the palace. It's kind of a neat idea - go ice skating in the winter in such a unique setting. It's especially nice since it has been quite a number of years since the canal water has been cold enough to freeze for skating.

The problem is not the ice skating rink itself, but the JUNK around it. They also put up a number of food booths (mostly baked goods and meat stands), some junky carnival rides, a suiker-spin (cotton candy) booth, some junk booths where people sell cheap jewelry and hats and scarfs, and even some port-a-potties. Basically, Dam Square looks like CRAP!

I've been reading the newspaper editorials and many people are complaining. Dam Square has always been for the people. It is a place for people to meet, play, and in the typical Dutch style, demonstrate against the latest perceived governmental injustice! It has been filled with junk for too long and the people want it to end! So while I think the ice skating rink is neat, this might be the last year for it. I don't understand why they can't do the rink and none of the other stuff!

Justice is frustrated because the pigeons no longer hang out there like they did before. He was really looking forward to feeding them and holding them....but I'm kind of glad he can't....we don't really need to be exposed to the bird flu, do we?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been reading all these each day, Jenn. I love them.
I sent you an e-mail. Remember I can't "create", so its a "reply" message. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I guess you can't get away from slobs no matter where in the world you go. Thats a "dam" shame!